The story of Maleny Botanic Gardens began many years ago with an 8 year old boy in South Africa. His name was Frank Shipp, he had just bought his first plant and was hooked. Life threw many challenges at that boy, but he went on to become successful in business before moving his family to Australia in 2003. Frank was looking for a property to create a garden. A big garden.
- In 2005 he purchased the land that is now Maleny Botanic Gardens but was a rough cattle grazing property at the time.
- In 2007 he began to put his vision into action, terracing the slopes, creating waterfalls, lakes, mass plantings, access to rainforest areas and gazebos to enjoy the stunning views, including the Glasshouse Mountains in the background.
- In 2009 the major planting began
- In Oct 2011 Frank showcased the gardens in the Australian Open Garden Scheme
- In July 2012 the gardens opened the gardens full time to the public, 7 days a week, 9am-4.30pm
- In November 2013 the walk through Avairy opens with a wide variety of most species of birds.